Comics Sales Representatives cover the retail sales floor of the comic shop, assisting customers and ringing up sales. May work Comic Cons and handle online sales.
Comics Manager – regarding comics ordering (new inventory), grading, pricing and purchasing back issues.
Business Manager – regarding schedules and day to day operations.
Regularly works part-time up to 30 hours per week. May work additional hours to work Comic Cons/Shows or cover shifts when other staff are working shows. Shifts will vary. Position needs to be available to work any shift during open comic’s business hours. This is a non-exempt position therefore will be eligible for overtime pay if approved and assigned by the Business Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Based on shift(s) assigned, completes business opening activities (e.g. cash register ready, inventory stocked, etc.) prior to start of business hours and/or completes business closing activities (e.g. cleaning, closeout cash register, etc.) daily according to procedures and opening/closing checklists.
- Follows cash handling and Point of Sale system processing procedures including completing a Cashier Shift Report at the end of each shift.
- Assists customers locate desired merchandise in store; looks up inventory and location of merchandise if not available in store; retrieves desired merchandise from storage if available; logs customer requests to be included in weekly ordering from Diamond Comic Distributors or for custom search.
- Sets up and maintains customer hold files according to policies and procedures.
- Monitors online sales and prepares sold items for shipping.
- Handles customer complaints during shift and takes authorized actions to correct situation to customer’s satisfaction; gets Manager On-Duty involved as needed.
- Receives comics merchandise deliveries; inspects packages for damage and processes invoice/delivery paperwork as needed and gives it to the Business Manager. If packages may need to be rejected, contacts the Manager On-Duty. Ensures all product is properly inventoried and stored according to procedures.
- Pulls and prepares inventory for Comic Cons/Shows as directed; may assist with loading boxes in trailer/car for transport to show; if working show, assist with unloading boxes at venue; setting up/organizing booth; assisting customers during show; executing sales transactions; taking down booth and loading boxes for transport back to store.
- May assist with training new staff.
- Provides excellent customer service, and completes all tasks using identified procedures.
- Maintains safe and secure retail area both in-store and at shows; monitor customers to minimize theft; keep cash register and POS equipment secure; ensure aisles are clear.
- Reports operational issues to Manager On-Duty.
- Assists with other duties as needed.
- Must be knowledgeable of policies and procedures of KaPow Comics & Coffee (will be provided) and ability to execute them while completing daily tasks.
- At least one (1) year work experience in a retail sales position required; comic shop experience preferred.
- Prefer at least one (1) year of previous cash handling experience.
- Demonstrable effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in an environment with long periods of standing, handling cleaning chemicals, and ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Knowledge and interest in comic books/characters required.
- High School diploma or GED equivalent required; college courses or degree preferred.