Baristas are responsible for preparing specialty espresso drinks to customer specifications. They will also prepare and serve other beverages and food to customers. They are also responsible to know cashier procedures and act as cashier as needed or when assigned.
Positions may be full-time or part-time based on scheduling needs. Shifts will vary. Position needs to be available to work any shift during open business hours. This is a non-exempt position therefore will be eligible for overtime pay if approved and assigned by the Business Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Based on shift(s) assigned, completes business opening activities (e.g. equipment ready, food stocked, etc.) prior to start of business hours and/or completes business closing activities (e.g. cleaning, food stored properly, etc.) daily according to procedures and opening/closing checklists.
- Prepares espresso drinks and other beverages according to customers order using appropriate recipe to ensure the correct amount of ingredients are used.
- Monitors customer condiment area during shift and restocks as needed.
- Monitor supply of cups and other glass or china ware used in-store. Restock as needed.
- Busses dishes and washes as needed during shift.
- Keeps Espresso Machine and work area clean throughout shift.
- Follows cash handling and Point of Sale system processing procedures including completing a Cashier Shift Report at the end of each shift when responsible for cashiering.
- Follows food handling procedures to ensure food safety. May monitor time/temperature of foods and complete appropriate logs.
- Handles customer complaints during shift and takes authorized actions to correct situation to customer’s satisfaction.
- May accept coffee shop deliveries; inspects packages for damage, measures temperature as needed, and inspects frozen foods for signs of thawing, and processes invoice/paperwork as needed and gives it to the Business Manager. If packages may need to be rejected, contacts the Manager On-Duty. Ensures all product is properly inventoried and stored according to procedures.
- May assist with training new staff.
- Reports operational issues to Manager On-Duty.
- Assists with other duties as needed.
- Must be knowledgeable of health department requirements for safe food handling (training may be provided).
- Must be knowledgeable of policies and procedures of KaPow Comics & Coffee (will be provided) and ability to follow and implement them.
- At least one (1) year work experience in a food service position required; coffee shop experience preferred.
- Prefer at least one (1) year of previous cash handling experience.
- Demonstrable effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in an environment with long periods of standing, handling cleaning chemicals, and ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Knowledge and interest in comic books/characters a plus.
- High School diploma or GED equivalent required; college courses or degree preferred.