The Assistant Manager is responsible for oversight of daily operations during their assigned shifts which is generally during the absence of the Business Manager. The position acts as the “Manager On-Duty” and as such executes any responsibilities as identified in company procedures.
Full-time 40 hours per week. Shifts will vary. Position needs to be available to work any shift during open business hours. This is a non-exempt position therefore will be eligible for overtime pay if approved and assigned by the Business Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Based on shift(s) assigned, ensures business opening activities (e.g. equipment ready, food stocked, etc.) are completed prior to start of business hours and/or ensures business closing activities (e.g. cleaning, food stored properly, etc.) are completed daily according to procedures and opening/closing checklists.
- Ensures staff are following procedures with specific emphasis on cash handling/register processes and those meeting health department regulations to ensure food safety.
- Ensures there is appropriate staff coverage to meet customer service requirements including stepping in to cover or assist staff with any duty to ensure customers are served accurately and timely.
- Handles customer complaints during shift and takes authorized actions to correct situation to customer’s satisfaction.
- Monitors food preparation and service including time/temperature control of food, completing appropriate logs, and providing refresher training to staff if necessary to ensure compliance with health department requirements.
- Oversees cashier shift changes by verifying Cashier Shift Report, distributing tips, and ensuring the appropriate amount of cash is in drawer for next shift. This includes ensuring all cash handling procedures are followed and cash is secured.
- May prepare and make bank deposits.
- Oversees deliveries to ensure packages are properly inspected and paperwork is processed as needed and given to the Business Manager. Determines if deliveries should be rejected and may call vendors to report issues. Ensures all product is properly inventoried and stored according to procedures.
- Interacts with the Health Department during inspections and as needed to ensure mandatory reporting requirements are met per the procedures manual.
- Assists with training new staff and refresher training for existing staff.
- Leads by example by providing excellent customer service, washing hands using appropriate technique, and completing all tasks using identified procedures.
- Documents tardiness, absences or other issues with staff and reports information to Business Manager.
- May assist with scheduling staff.
- Reports operational issues to Business Manager.
- Assists with other duties as needed.
- Must be knowledgeable of health department requirements for safe food handling (training may be provided).
- Must be knowledgeable of policies and procedures of KaPow Comics & Coffee (will be provided) and ability to follow and implement them.
- At least one (1) year work experience in a food service position required; coffee shop experience preferred.
- Prefer at least one (1) year of previous management experience.
- Prefer at least one (1) year of previous cash handling experience.
- Demonstrable effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in an environment with long periods of standing, handling cleaning chemicals, and ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Knowledge and interest in comic books/characters a plus.
- High School diploma or GED equivalent required; college courses or degree preferred.